Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Give Students a Chance...

As an educator who uses technology for everything from presentations to interactive activities to games that help drive home a point, I am constantly surprised by a school's lack of faith in its students (and when I say "a school" you know I mean "my" school but am hesitant to say so...even though I just did). My view that in order to teach kids responsibilitywe need to give them some - Wow...who does this guy think he is? - does not seem to be shared by some of my colleagues or, especially, the IT guys. "There's too much that we can't monitor", or "Too much could go wrong and we could open ourselves to (insert possible cyberbullying or internet crime situation here).

This is not "Minority Report"; we are not going to start punishing students for things they are thinking of doing (if that's case I...well, that's for another blog). Technology is HERE and educators need to embrace and incorporate it into their curriculum. I'm not saying all the time, but kids use cells phones and laptops and iPod Touches and Go Pros, so why not let them use them to do a report on our founding fathers or make a film about the dangers of and solutions for bullying?

I teach a class entitled N.O.W. (Navigating Our World) Plus, which my school chose me to develop. My students discuss topics from stereotyping and diversity (6th grade) to the economy and developing 21st century currency (7th grade) to dictators and The Holocaust. Not only do we learn about all of the worlds we live in - from our planet right down to our individual lives - but we look inward and learn about ourselves and our part in it. Technology is an integral part of what I do because assignments are researched and completed using the internet, and students use MS Office products and movie editing programs to create brochures, posters, and films based on a variety of topics. Of course - wait for the collective gasp -  we still use the oldest technology around, paper and writing implement, to record our facts and map our ideas so that we have a clear plan from start to finish. During my class - again, wait for it - we often shut down our computers and talk. (I know, I know, you want to know how you can nominate me for teacher of the century...I'm wondering that myself.)

Back I digress...it is rather difficult when I am forced to unblock the simplest of sites for my students, ones that I have approved and found appropriate, or, even worse, unblock a site for myself so I can see if it is. Am I not capable of policing my own students? Are they going to be so horribly affected if they hear ONE curse word in a video that I think could change their way of thinking about those less fortunate, or some worn-torn country that they feel has nothing to do with them because it's 4,000 miles away? I have a vision that this generation will care more deeply about our world and those in it than past generations have so that they can affect the change that we so desperatley require. As a teacher, I need more freedom to utilize my technology in a way that is more meaningful for my students and myself so that we all connect on an appropriate level.

Technology for technology sake is not the answer. But it is a match that can light the fire needed to cleanse our lives and, like the phoenix, allow us to rise from the ashes with a purpose and a new sense of self that takes us into a more enlightened future.

5 comments:

  1. Great blog Eric, and absolutely no different in the corporate world. Despite the rise of great software, amazing websites and BYOD as a concept, the essential element that corporations ( and seemingly schools too) lack is TRUST. trust to do the right thing, access the right places, use the right tools. And like any early teen, when told not to drink alcohol, when finally access is available OF COURSE we break the rules, as the fruit has been forbidden for so long!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mungo,

      Before I was one of the greatest teachers in the known universe, I was part of the business world, so I hear you. Trust...such a small word for something with such a big meaning. I understand the difficulties the school has with trusting kids with so much burden - Should I forget about my assignment and try to bypass my school's firewall and other security protocols to check Facebook and find out what my buddies are up to on Saturday? - but I say punish the guilty or, as they say in the Marines: "Shoot 'em all and let God sort 'em out!" (I work at a private Catholic school BTW.)

      Delete
  2. Hi, Eric
    Welcome to the world of blogging! when I was a teacher in the classroom (just 2 years ago) I found it terribly difficult to teach and deal with all of the restrictions. I wrote a blog about my experiences and frustrations that you can read at lsniestrath.wordpress.com
    I have found that the Google in Education program offers lots of wonderful materials that you can use in your classroom that have been filtered. Here is the link:http://www.google.com/edu/teachers/classroom-videos.html

    My old school system has relinquished their hold on the use of cell phones and other devices and has finally released the expectation that teachers use a password to access Youtube. My son brings his devices to class, including his Ipad mini to help him with classwork.

    The walls are coming down, even if it seems as though it's ridiculously slow!

    I look forward to hearing more about your program. It sounds very interesting!
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurie,

      Recently, we had a regretable occurrence whereby some student put up a fake page for another student, on Instagram. This is the kind of situation that, for lack of a better word, "ruins" it for everyone else. Things happen, so we punish the guilty party and move on.

      Thus far, my class has been very interesting (at least that's what the students are telling me) and I am proud to be able to develop the curriculum for something so meaningful.

      Delete
  3. Hi Eric, (I'm a fellow edcmoocer)

    Great post. Sometimes I think in education, we are expected to go with the whole lowest common denominator thing. I can't remember what happened when calculators came in, if we had to stick to log and antilog tables until everyone in the class could manage a calculator for whatever reason!

    ReplyDelete